New York City is one of the largest cities in the world, with a population of over eight million people. As such, it is not surprising that the city owns a large fleet of vehicles to keep the city running smoothly. It is known for its bustling streets, crowded sidewalks, and endless streams of taxis and buses. However, in New York, accidents involving these city-owned vehicles have become a serious issue.
The city has paid out millions of dollars each year to settle injury claims. In fact, according to a recent report by the New York Post, the city has spent more than $800 million in payouts to settle personal injury claims caused by city-owned vehicles over the past decade. In this blog post, we will explore the issue of injury claims caused by city-owned vehicles in New York and what individuals can do to fight for compensation.
What Types of NY City-Vehicles Are Involved in Crashes?
- New York City Transit Buses. One of the most common types of city-owned vehicles involved in accidents in New York are New York City Transit Buses. These buses are a vital part of the city’s transportation system, with over 5,700 buses in operation on any given weekday. Unfortunately, accidents involving these buses are not uncommon. In fact, according to a recent report by the New York Post, these buses have been involved in more than 19,000 accidents since 2015.
- Police Cars. Police cars are also often involved in accidents in New York. These cars are used by the NYPD to patrol the city’s streets and respond to emergencies. The high speeds and aggressive driving required of police officers can sometimes lead to accidents. In some cases, innocent bystanders are caught in the crossfire of a police chase, leading to serious injuries or even death.
- Fire Trucks. Fire trucks are another type of city-owned vehicle that can be involved in accidents. These trucks are used by the FDNY to respond to fires and other emergencies throughout the city. Unfortunately, accidents involving fire trucks can have serious consequences, as they are often large and heavy vehicles that can cause significant damage in a collision.
- Sanitation Trucks. These trucks are used by the Department of Sanitation to collect and dispose of trash and other waste throughout the city. Accidents involving sanitation trucks can be especially dangerous, as they often operate in crowded residential areas and can be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.
Regardless of the type of city vehicle or the reason for the crash, accidents involving city-owned vehicles can result in serious injuries, including broken bones, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and even death. These injuries can have a devastating impact on the lives of victims and their families, resulting in medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
What Can You Do If You Are Injured By a NY City Vehicle?
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a city-owned vehicle, it is important to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Here are some steps you can take to protect your rights and seek compensation for injuries caused by city-owned vehicles:
- Seek medical attention. If you have been injured in an accident involving a city-owned vehicle, it is important to seek medical attention right away. Even if you don’t feel like you have been seriously injured, it is important to get checked out by a doctor to make sure you don’t have any underlying injuries that could worsen over time.
- Document the accident. Be sure to document as much information as possible about the accident, including the date, time, location, and any details about how the accident occurred. Take photos of the scene and any damage to your vehicle or other property, and get the contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Report the accident. Report the accident to the appropriate authorities, such as the police or transit authority. Be sure to get a copy of any accident reports or other documentation related to the accident.
- Contact an attorney. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options and work to hold the city accountable for its negligence.
In conclusion, accidents involving city-owned vehicles in New York can have devastating consequences for victims and their families. If you have been injured in an accident caused by a city-owned vehicle, it is important to seek legal representation and fight for the compensation you deserve. By taking steps to document the accident, report it to the appropriate authorities, and contact an experienced attorney, you can protect your rights and seek justice for your injuries.